Cancun: Luxury Everyone Can Afford
Cancun– Luxury Everyone Can Afford
Did you know?
- More than 80% of Expedia travelers to Cancun do so as part of an Expedia package (flight, hotel and car packaged together). This allows Expedia to put together amazing deals that provide great savings for travelers, allowing them to save up to $500 on each trip. Check out our new Trip Explorer tool to shop for a package based on budget, origin and length of stay.
- Travelers based in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston and Minneapolis love the Mexican surf and sun, as they are the top visitors to visit Cancun over any other region in the United States each year.
- In order to secure the best deals possible, one general rule of thumb is to book trips as far in advance as possible and generally booking more than two months ahead will yield the best possible deals. Travelers should check out our dedicated Mexico page for the most current listing of deals.
- 90% of the Cancun hotels offered on Expedia are located on the main hotel strip in Cancun, known as the “Hotel Zone”, where all the action happens. Also, more than 50% of hotels in Cancun are 4 stars or more, and shockingly enough, their average prices tend to run lower than the national average*. For example, the average 4-star hotel in Cancun in November 2011 was priced at $184/night with most including all-inclusive options.
- *National average based on the average price for all hotels worldwide listed in the 4-star category available on Expedia.com for the month of November.
65% of the room nights Expedia sells are part of all-inclusive deals where food and drinks are unlimited. Some of the top all-inclusive deals available on Expedia are:
- Live Aqua Adults Only
- GR Solaris Cancun & Spa
- Excellence Playa Mujeres Adults Only
- Fiesta Americana Condesa Cancun
- Dreams Cancun Resort & Spa
- Royal Solaris Cancun Resort, Marina & Spa
- Great Parnassus Resort & Spa
- Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa
- The Royal Cancun Spa & Resort
- Grand Park Royal Cancun Caribe
- ME Cancun – Complete ME
- Riu Palace Las Americas and the Oasis properties are coming back strong in 2012 with many enhancements including Expedia extras such as SMART cars for guests to use during the stay and live concerts by Kool & the Gang, Ne-Yo and other artists during specific dates at select properties.
- Expedia offers a wide array of hotels in Cancun such as family friendly, adult only and luxury. Travelers can also find a nice blend of independent hotels as well as international chain brands.
Where to stay:
- The Cancun “Hotel Zone” is filled with oceanfront and lagoon view properties, fine dining restaurants, shopping malls, golf courses, fantastic nightlife and offers plenty of water sport activities.
- For a more laid-back experience, try Playa Mujeres, just north of Puerto Juarez, which features attractive beaches, a few upscale family and adults only resorts as well as a marina and golf course. This area has great connectivity with the lively Cancun downtown area as well.
- Isla Mujeres is a paradisiacal, small island located in front of Cancun and Playa Mujeres that provides a stress-free environment, friendly local people, more nightlife than expected and plenty of accommodations ranging from casual bed and breakfast properties to all inclusive and upscale boutique style properties.
Best time to travel to Cancun:
- Anytime really…it never gets cold in Cancun! The end of December through the end of April is a popular winter escape for many people in North America. May through August is the warmest season, and water temperatures are perfect for a dip during that period. Within that time frame, Cancun is also visited by the giant but docile whale sharks, and travelers can even arrange tours to swim alongside them. To save even more money, travelers can visit Cancun during the off-season from September through mid-November. For example, in September the average price of a 4-star hotel in September is almost 30% cheaper than the same average in April.
Some of the most popular hotels:
- Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach Cancun Resort & Spa
- Excellence Playa Mujeres Adults Only All Inclusive
- The Ritz-Carlton Cancun
- The Beloved Hotel Playa Mujeres All Inclusive
- Live Aqua All Inclusive Adults Only
- Le Blanc Spa Resort All Inclusive
- Privilege Aluxes Isla Mujeres
- The Royal Cancun All Inclusive Spa & Resort
- Hotel Villa Rolandi Thalasso SPA – Gourmet & Beach Club Isla Mujeres
- JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa
- Best Beaches:
- Playa Delfines (Dolphin Beach)is a very popular beach too as well.
- The Mexican Government has invested millions to make sure Cancun’s beaches are and remain in good shape.
To purchase some great activities in Cancun, visit the Expedia page.
Jurriaan is Expedia’s Market Manager based in Cancun. He has been living in Cancun for more than 10 years and knows all the local secrets. Here are some of his best tips for visiting Cancun.
- I have had the privilege to enjoy many things that Cancun has to offer for the past 10 years. When I first arrived to Cancun, I enjoyed hanging out with friends on the weekend at Coco Bongo nightclub. Today this is still one of the most popular places to go to at night due to its spectacular “Vegas meets Cancun” performances and shows that entertain a crowd of different age groups.
- For travelers on foot, the 24-hour ongoing bus transportation that is available in the Hotel Zone is an affordable and convenient way to get around.
- The Mexican Caribbean offers plenty of great snorkeling and scuba diving opportunities. Jungle tours are a fun way to explore the lagoon and snorkel near the reefs around the coast of Cancun. An Isla Mujeres day cruise is a fun way to explore the Caribbean waters as well.
- These days I enjoy taking my kids to see the dolphins and sharks at the aquarium at La Isla Shopping Village while my wife enjoys hitting the shops for some “retail therapy.” On the way there, she likes to stop by Luxury Avenue as well. Tourists should visit Market 28 downtown for souvenir shopping and local flavor.
- For travelers with older children, there are opportunities to swim with dolphins or visit water parks in the area. Some of the child friendly hotels feature their own water parks and fantastic kids clubs too.
- For a fine dining experience, I recommend a visit to Casa Rolandi’s, Lorenzillo’s or Puerto Madero. The local taco stands are a “can’t miss” destination as well.
- Cancun also features fantastic spas and golf courses for travelers interested in hitting the links or the spa for a relaxing massage.
- Expedia’s activities page for Cancun features excursions for any type of traveler on any type of budget. And to make things easier, travelers can also book their ground transfers there with Expedia’s preferred provider.
- I recommend travelers pay special attention to the tours departing from Cancun to explore the Mayan world, a great opportunity to become more acquainted with this ancient and precious local culture.
And for more information about Cancun, travelers can check out this Cancun Travel Guide page on Expedia.com.
Right now there are some amazing packages and standalone specials with a site wide Mexico sale starting January 10, running through the end of the month!
- 60% off at GR Solaris Cancun & Spa All Inclusive. Book by Feb 06 for travel until Aug 17
- 30% off at The Westin Resort & Spa. Book by Feb 06 for travel until Jun 30
- 40% off at The Beloved Hotel Playa Mujeres All Inclusive. Book by Feb 06 for travel until Jun 30
- 30% off at Live Aqua All Inclusive Adults Only. Book by Feb 06 for travel until Jun 30
- Up to 55% off Grand Opening special at Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula All Inclusive. Book by Feb 06 for travel May 04 – Dec 19