#Expediachat Twitter Chat: Spring Break
February 27 - Spring Break
Can you sense a trend here? There may still be a few more weeks left in winter, but our mind is on warmer destinations. To help you get the ball rolling and plan your first spring trip, we're talking all things spring break for this week's #Expediachat. Not a student or parent? That's alright, as just about all of us could probably use a spring break right now to travel somewhere warm. Get the wheels spinning for your next getaway and join us on Twitter with the #Expediachat hashtag to talk spring travel. While the perk of course is fanning the flames of your wanderlust and providing you with recommendations for your next big trip, you'll also have the chance to travel on Expedia's dime, as we'll be giving away a $500 travel voucher to one participant.
Join us each week from 10:30 AM-12:00 PM PT/1:30 PM-3:00 PM ET on Wednesdays for #Expediachat, our weekly sponsored Twitter chat. The topic and prize changes each week. To join, just search and follow the #Expediachat hashtag during these times. Our hosts will ask a series of questions and you can interact with the community to discuss each one. To win, make sure you are following @Expedia on Twitter, using the #Expediachat hashtag and tweeting at least once to be entered into the random drawing at the end of the chat. Additional information about this week's chat is below.
(NOTE: As the coupon is good for Expedia.com only, the contest rules below state that the winner must be a US resident)
Meet the co-hosts:
Spencer Spellman, @SpencerSpellman
Traveling by himself on an airplane for the first time at age 7, Spencer has had a knack for travel ever since. He has been working in the travel industry for four years, first as a staff writer and editor for a travel guide publisher before making the transition to freelancing and blogging at The Traveling Philosopher. Spencer has contributed to multiple print and online outlets, including National Geographic's Intelligent Travel Blog, Centro Y Sur Magazine, AOL Travel, and Travel + Escape.
Trish Friesen chose an unlikely profession given her fear of flying and propensity toward car, air, boat, train and chairlift sickness. Thanks to Gravol, Sea-Bands and cruise ship stabilizers, the reluctant---yet enthusiastic---jetsetter packs her carry-on once every two weeks to swim with sharks in the Great Barrier Reef or to sample the latest libation in Portland. Trish unpacks her suitcase in Vancouver, Canada, where she’s the editor-in-chief of TripStyler.com, a travel lifestyle website for aspiring jetsetters. Find her moonlighting with Expedia, Fodor's and Jetsetter while circumventing the globe with her entourage: a MacBook Air, an Olympus camera and the biggest carry-on she can fit on the plane.
Want to learn more about Twitter chatting? Here's a little 101 straight from our blogger co-host Spencer:
#Expediachat is a weekly chat on Twitter, sponsored by Expedia and hosted by me. I’m joined every week by a couple guest co-hosts who help me moderate the chat. There’s a new topic each week, with past topics including technology in travel and giving the gift of travel for the holidays. Past chats have come on the heels of announcements from Expedia, including the launch of a Facebook app with Groupon Getaways, Travel Wish List, and the new Expedia Hotels app for iPad/tablet. The chat was mentioned by Tnooz recently when discussing Expedia’s new iPad/tablet app. In addition to talking travel, Expedia has been giving away prizes each week, which have included an iPad 2 and travel vouchers to use on Expedia.com.
You don’t have to be a frequent Twitter user to join in the chat. You can follow the hashtag simply using Twitter Search. However, I recommend using a Twitter application like HootSuite or Tweetdeck, where you can create a column solely for #Expediachat, or use TweetChat, which allows Twitter users to tweet and reply using the hashtag automatically.
Stay abreast of sweepstakes rules by viewing the Expedia Twitter Sweepstakes Official Rules, which are reposted every week.
Official Chat Rules
No Purchase Necessary. A Purchase will not Increase Your Chances of Winning.
- Eligibility: The Sweepstakes is open only to legal residents of the United States who are at least eighteen (18) years old and have a Twitter account. Employees of Expedia, Inc., as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and household members of those employees, are not eligible to enter.
- Sponsor: The Sweepstakes is sponsored by Expedia, Inc., 333 108thAvenue NE, Bellevue, WA 98004(“Sponsor”).
- Agreement to Official Rules: By entering, you indicate your full and unconditional agreement to (a) these Official Rules and (b) Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
- Entry Period: The Sweepstakes begins at 10:30 AM PST and ends at 12:00 PM PST on Feb 27, 2013. Sponsor’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the Sweepstakes.
- How to Enter: If you don’t already follow @Expedia on Twitter, visit http://twitter.com/Expedia and click on the icon to follow @Expedia. Once you are following @Expedia, respond to the Sweepstakes question with the hashtag #ExpChat. There is a limit of one (1) entry per person. Multiple entrants are not permitted to share the same Twitter account. If you attempt to obtain more than one (1) entry by using multiple/different Twitter accounts, identities, registrations, or logins, or through any other methods, Sponsor may exclude you from participating in the Sweepstakes.
- Drawing: After the Entry Period, Sponsor will select one (1) potential winner in a random drawing of all entries received. The odds of being selected depend on the number of entries received.
- Notification and Requirements of Potential Winners: Sponsor will announce the winner on Twitter by 3:00 PM PT on Feb 27, 2013. Additionally, sponsor will send a direct message from @Expedia to the potential winner’s Twitter account used to enter the Sweepstakes with instructions on how to claim the prize. In order to receive a direct message from Sponsor, you must (a) be following @Expedia and (b) have your account settings set to “unprotected” and/or “public.” If a potential winner does not respond and comply with the instructions in the direct message within 3 days after Sponsor sent the direct message, he/she will forfeit the prize and Sponsor may award the prize to an alternate entrant. Only three (3) alternate entrants will be contacted. Except where prohibited, a potential winner may be required to complete and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release. If a potential winner is a minor, his/her parent or legal guardian will be required to sign the documents on his/her behalf.
- One (1) winner receive a coupon for $500 off any booking for a package or hotel on Expedia.com. The coupon expires August 31, 2013 and can only be used on one (1) booking. A winner is responsible for paying any applicable income taxes and any expenses not listed above. Any prize details not specified above will be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. A prize may not be transferred and must be accepted as awarded. You may not request cash or a substitute prize; however, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize with another prize of equal or greater value if the prize is not available for any reason.
- General Conditions: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Sweepstakes is impaired in any way, including, but not limited to fraud, virus, or other technical problem, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Sweepstakes to address the impairment and then resume the Sweepstakes in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; or (b) award the prizes at random from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the operation of the Sweepstakes, violates these Official Rules, or acts in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any person who seeks to undermine the legitimate operation of the Sweepstakes. Failure by Sponsor to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Proof of sending any communication to Sponsor by mail shall not be deemed proof of receipt of that communication by Sponsor. In the event of a dispute as to the owner of an entry, the authorized account holder of the Twitter account used to enter will be deemed to be the entrant. The Sweepstakes is subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
- Release and Limitations of Liability: By participating in the Sweepstakes, you agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, and agents (the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Sweepstakes or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Sweepstakes; (b) technical errors related to computers, servers, providers, or telephone, or network lines; (c) any errors on the Twitter platform that may prevent an entrant from entering or receiving direct messages; (d) printing errors; (e) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail; (f) errors in the administration of the Sweepstakes or the processing of entries; or (g) injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Sweepstakes or receipt or use of any prize. You further agree that in any cause of action, the Released Parties’ liability will be limited to thecost of entering and participating in the Sweepstakes, and in no event shall the Released Parties be liable for attorney’sfees. You waive the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
- Disputes: You agree that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Sweepstakes or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in the State of Washington. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, your rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsor in connection with the Sweepstakes, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Washington, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of Washington or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Washington.